Lap-Band Management & Adjustment
Lap-Band surgery is one of the most commonly performed operations for weight management in Canada. Although Lap-Band surgery generally has less risk of complication than gastric bypass or gastric sleeve surgery, those considering the procedure need to be aware of the follow-up protocol. Lap-Band fills are a necessary part of the process and require a firm commitment from the patient for the long-term effects of surgery to be successful.
Patients who have had the Lap-Band placed in other cities or countries sometimes find it difficult to find a reliable source to provide fills and consultation for managing their band. A follow-up management schedule is needed for these patients in their local area. This is part of the reason why Enhance Health has started performing Lap-Band adjustments to support patients living in and around the Edmonton area. Please note that band management will not work if it’s not adjusted.
We are proud to feature Dr. Shahzeer Karmali, who will consult in managing and filling adjustable bands. Dr. Karmali is a fellowship trained Bariatric surgeon who holds affiliation and endorsement from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, The American Board of Surgery, and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. He has performed over 1,000 Bariatric surgeries and is very skilled at band management and adjustment.
Meet the doctor
Dr. Shahzeer Karmali
Dr. Shahzeer Karmali is a fully board certified (USA and Canada) General Surgeon who also completed advanced fellowship training in Minimally Invasive and Bariatric Surgery at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas. He currently serves as a Professor in Surgery at the University of Alberta and practicing Bariatric Surgeon. He holds special certification in Bariatric Surgery from the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons. He has performed over 1,000 bariatric operations including the Adjustable Gastric Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy, and the Roux en Y bypass. He has published over 100 peer review articles and lectures internationally on Minimally Invasive and Bariatric Surgery.
Success from a Lap-Band depends on two key factors:
1) Appropriate and Timely Band Fills
– Dr. Karmali will go through an extensive medical history with each patient so that he may provide you with the utmost care and respect towards your Lap Band procedure, as well as any conditions associated with weight management. Everything is documented in the patient file.
– For the fee schedule, patients can contact Client Services.
– All patients will be provided with an emergency contact number in case of emergency (i.e. if a de-fill is needed, you are vomiting and unable to swallow, etc.).
2) Weight Loss Counselling
– Our clinic offers a complete bariatric and weight loss counselling service. It is staffed by a Bariatric internal medical specialist (Dr. Sarah Chapelsky), bariatric nurses, psychologists and personal training specialist.
– Each patient will have their weight taken, and the doctor will then ask about personal eating habits and lifestyle patterns. They will work to ensure that each patient has the most optimal outcome with their adjustable band.
– Patients may contact Client Services to discuss the fees related to the program.
Please contact our Client Services to discuss the fees regarding the program
Managing your Lap-Band
We recommend a follow up every month (12 visits) for the first year after getting your Lap-Band operation and having about six adjustments in the first year. You will require the best support in the areas of nutrition, vitamin intake, and psychology in order to stay on the right course. As mentioned earlier, adjustment is necessary to keeping your Lap-Band working properly. During your second year of Lap-Band management, we recommend 2-4 visits.
If your Lap-Band becomes over adjusted, or if it’s not adjusted at all, this may result in failure of the treatment. We ensure that everything is adjusted and managed properly. Another possible reason for the failure of your Lap-Band is lack of weight loss and food-related issues. With our physicians overseeing your progress, you can be sure that you are getting the right treatment and care.
To mange your progress in the best way possible, we suggest in-office visits rather than virtual. This will help our physicians get the best analysis of how you are doing. Lap-Band patients will be successful by coming in for consistent check-ins at our clinic.
Remember, Lap-Band management is a lifetime commitment! We look forward to supporting you on your weight loss journey.